Sunday, June 9, 2013

Toby's Estate, Singapore

Brunch at Robertson Quay has got to be one of my favourite ways to spend the weekends. I live a stone throw away (5 mins walk) from Robertson Quay but it's odd that I don't find myself down there often enough. There's definitely something there for everyone, considering the amount of cafes and restaurants but the number of brunch places is incredible. A stroll along the quay side and you'll find many of Singapore's favourite brunch places - Smitten Coffee & Tea Bar, Kith Cafe, Epicurious, Hummerstons, SQ11 Deli & Cafe, Boomarang Bistro & Bar and of course, Toby's Estate

The unrelenting heat last Saturday wasn't in our favour to dine at Kith. Unfortunately Kith wasn't air conditioned and if we sat outside our poached eggs would have been hard boiled by the time we dug in. And because we were starving we hopped off to the nearest cafe which was Toby's Estate. 

Overlooking the quay

Perfect hideout place on a weekend! 

Ordering counter

I have always imagined that if I one day owned my own cafe, I would have a communal dining table. Bill Granger's Bills in Sydney is the same - it becomes the centre of the space and adds this warmth and cosy feeling. Well...that's the dream (: 

Cafe latte ($5), Iced latte ($6)

Coffee. Just the sound of the word gives me a buzz. That one cup can make or break your day and sometimes your whole day revolves around it. Toby's definitely didn't let me down. It was smooth and full-bodied and had that rich lingering finish which I loved. 

 Eggs royale ($16)

Two poached barn laid eggs, smoked salmon, brioche and a bacon hollandaise sauce. Now, the thing with ordering poached eggs is that many chefs poach their eggs in vinegar water because it's sort of easier but it annoys my because this changes the flavour and texture of the eggs. While this did not have that horrible vinegary taste to it, the texture was slightly off but the eggs were perfectly oozy and just right. 

Also, if you decide to call your hollandaise a BACON hollandaise sauce, it should have the lovely smokey flavour of bacon, or at least have bits of chopped bacon mixed through. This had neither. Didn't taste like it was bacon infused at all but it would have passed off well as plain good ol' hollandaise sauce. 

Black pepper - yes, please! 

Ooze baby, ooze!

Moroccan baked eggs ($18)

Spiced chili con carne (beef) with kidney beans, chorizo sausage, mushrooms, espresso maple bacon and sourdough. Absolutely stuffed from my plate I didn't try this so I have got no comments on this. This has got to be the first baked eggs I've seen that isn't all tomatoey so that's refreshing. Don't let this fool you because if you dig deep there is plenty (almost too much) of chilli underneath it. 

 Good cuppa, good food and good reads 

Serving more than just your run-of-the-mill breakfast offerings, they do sandwiches as well as pastas. I wouldn't quite call their food great, but I do think that their coffee has got to be the best around the area so that's good enough for me. 

If I do return, I'd also definitely pick an outdoor seat - they have truffle mushrooms (truffle oil, not the real stuff) on the menu so at times the smell of the truffle oil can be quite intoxicating inside. You know that smell of truffle fries? Urgh. 

8 Rodyk Street, #01-03/04
+65 66367629




0 comments:

Post a Comment